Last Updated on April 28, 2021 by Jim Edwards
- 1 What are Runts Candy?
- 2 History of Runts Candy
- 3 What is the Flavor and Taste of Runts Candy like?
- 4 What are the ingredients in Runts Candy?
- 5 Nutritional Facts of Runts Candy
- 6 How many calories are there in Runts Candy?
- 7 Is Runts Candy gluten-free?
- 8 Are Runts Candy vegan?
- 9 Runts TV Commercial
- 10 Video: Unwrapping Runts Candy
What are Runts Candy?
Runts Candies are an assortment of different fruit-shaped crunchy sweet treats that are rich in fruit flavors. The candies are a huge success during the Halloween season, especially due to the assortment of different flavors and colors.
History of Runts Candy
Runts candies were introduced to the children for the first time in 1982. It is one of the early candies of The Willy Wonka Candy Company. The candies were incepted two years after the Willy Wonka Candy Company came into existence.
The original flavors included strawberry, orange, banana, cherry, and lime. The flavor assortment has changed dramatically over the years. We talk about it in our next section.
Nestle sells Runts candy after the acquisition of the Willy Wonka Candy Company in 1988.
What is the Flavor and Taste of Runts Candy like?
The candies are crunchy due to the hard candy shell. There is a compressed dextrose core that makes the center chewy and sweet.
Over the years, Runts has introduced four flavor assortments.
- 1982: Strawberry, Banana, Orange, Lime, and Cherry
- In the late 1990s: Lime was removed and replaced by blue raspberry and watermelon.
- 2007: Blue raspberry, cherry, and watermelon flavors were discontinued. Mango and pineapple flavors were added to the mix.
- 2009: Mango and pineapple flavors were discontinued. Grape and green apple were introduced to the assortment.
As of today, the flavors in the assortment are:
- Grape: It is citrusy in taste.
- Green apple: It has a hint of both sweetness and sourness to its taste.
- Strawberry: It is sweet and fruity.
- Banana: It tastes a bit artificial, but you do get a slight hint of banana when you chew the candy completely. (Note: if you want a more intense banana flavored fruit chew, be sure to read our review of the Necco Banana Split Candies.
- Orange: It tastes like Tang, but the flavor is not too strong.
What are the ingredients in Runts Candy?
The ingredients in Runts candy include: maltodextrin, dextrose, less than 2% of malic acid, calcium stearate, citric acid, carnauba wax, artificial flavors, and artificial colors (Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Blue 1, Blue 2 Lake, Red 40 Lake).
Nutritional Facts of Runts Candy
The nutritional facts mentioned below are for a serving size of 0.5 oz (12-13 pieces approximately).
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Saturated Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Trans Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Polyunsaturated Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Monounsaturated Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids (0 g)||0%|
|Cholesterol (0 mg)||0%|
|Sodium (0 mg)||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate (14 g)||5%|
|Dietary Fiber (0 g)||0%|
|Sugar (13 g)||–|
|Iron (0 mg)||0%|
|Calcium (0 mg)||0%|
|Protein (0 g)||0%|
|Alcohol (0 g)||0%|
How many calories are there in Runts Candy?
0.5 ounces of candies, which is approximately 12-13 pieces, contains 60 calories.
Is Runts Candy gluten-free?
Runts candies are gluten-free.
Are Runts Candy vegan?
Runts candies may not be vegan. The red pigment is generally derived from the crushed shells of a cactus feeding insect. Dextrose is occasionally derived from animal fluids and tissues. We advise you to check the label before making a purchase.
See also: Botan Rice Candy – it’s another favorite of kids worldwide.
If you like Runts, you will probably really like Wacky Wafers too!
Runts TV Commercial
This is a classic commercial from 1999.
Video: Unwrapping Runts Candy
This is worth a watch if you want to see what it is like to unwrap the runts package.
Also you get to see the runts candy up close. The little shapes and sizes always make me laugh.
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!