Last Updated on October 28, 2022 by Jim Edwards
Count Chocula, Franken Berry, and Boo Berry are the three ghoul-based cereals that pop up in the grocery stores just in time for Halloween. Boo Berry and Franken Berry are both fruit-based flavors, Boo Berry being in Blueberry flavor and Franken Berry in Strawberry. Count Chocula has a rich and chocolatey flavor that is every chocolate lover’s dream!
The mascot for Count Chocula is based on a chocolate vampire that has cartoony fangs and a sly grin on the face.
History Of Count Chocula Cereal
In the 1970s, marketing took a little spin. The sugar-laden stuff was all marketed directly to the little children, and it had become the trend. One more rage that was taking fire was monsters. With shows like “The Munsters” and characters like Frankenstein, Count Dracula, Mothra, Godzilla, etc., it was becoming a steady trend at that time.
Rather than opting for toy cars, superheroes, or dolls, the kids were more interested in the monsters.
Due to this reason, in March 1971, two monster cereals were introduced by General Mills that would help to connect with the blazing trends.
The first two cereals released by General Mills were Count Chocula and Franken Berry. Although they were physically identical, they had different flavors in them. They both consisted of puffed corns and marshmallow chunks that were adored by the people.
With their different flavors, Count Chocula and Franken Berry worked to turn the milk into their own delicious flavor. While the Count Chocula would give the milk a chocolatey taste, Franken Berry would add a dose of strawberry to it.
Count Chocula Cereals were widely accepted and loved while Franken Berry Cereal experienced a problem. Parents of the kids complained that the pink dye present in Franken Berry Cereal was having an effect on the excretory systems of their kids, and was making the waste material turn all pink!
Count Chocula Cereal offers people a delicious, sweet, and chocolate-rich flavor that is a treat for the tastebuds. The best part is that the Count Chocula Cereal is the first of its kind, which means that it was the first cereal that had a chocolate flavor in it. Chocolate, in those days, was not a common breakfast item. Count Chocula came and changed the game altogether by introducing the perfect blend of flavor for a tasty morning meal.
Nutritional Information About Count Chocula Cereal
The nutritional information regarding Count Chocula Cereal is based on 1 cup or 36 grams of cereal.
|Net carbs||28.62 g|
|Portion size||36 g|
|Amount Per Portion
|% daily value|
|Total Fat 1.7g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.2g||1%|
|Sodium 176 mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 30 g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6 %|
|Protein 1.9g||4 %|
|Vitamin D1 1.3 mcg||6 %|
|Calcium 133 mg||10 %|
|Iron 6 mg||33 %|
|Potassium 82 mg||2 %|
Facts About Count Chocula Cereal
- The cartoon character of Count Chocula cartoon was drawn by an artist named George Carn. George Carn also had drawn Trix rabbit previously.
- The spin-off version, which was a limited edition, was designed by Terry and Rachel Dodson. They have also worked on Wonder Woman and Spiderman.
- General Mills promoted Count Chocula cereal in a whimsical manner. Here is a glimpse of it:
A spoonful of spooky fun in every bowl, Count Chocula is a whimsical way to start the day. Made with whole grain corn, Count Chocula combines chocolaty cereal with colorful marshmallow shapes to create a delicious cereal that kids and adults can enjoy. Each serving of this playful, monster-themed cereal is low in fat with no cholesterol or saturated fat. It’s also a good source of calcium, whole grain, and nine other essential vitamins and minerals.
- The tagline of Count Chocula cereal was: I vant to eat your cereal.
- Count Chocula’s full name is Count Alfred Chocula.
- It was the only chocolate-flavored cereal on the market when it was first introduced.
- The Count has gone through many changes with the passage of time. The changes have been pretty interesting, to say the least. The original design of Count Chocula was of a vampire who looked kind of tired. He wore robes that were of chocolate cover and had a long chin and a sharp nose. The mouth showed two buck teeth. This has remained the norm while the art and styles have changed many times. Rather than being scary, Count Chocula is more on the goofy side. The friendly and goofy side of Count Chocula is more likable and attractive to the people
- In 2015, there was an election held between the cereals. It was held during the Halloween season, and the chocolate and berry cereals were all included. It was up to America to vote and choose their favorite cereal. Count Chocula chose the tagline “You can count one me” and won with around 41% of the votes.
Which Monster Cereal Tastes The Best? | Count Chocula, Boo-Berry & Frankenberry Taste Test
In this video, Halloween’s favorite cereals are tested for taste: General Mill’s Count Chocula, Boo-Berry, and Frankenberry.
They are ranked on the basis of the best taste.
Golden Grahams Cereal – How Does it Taste?
Count Chocula Cereal may be the just the thing that you are craving; enriched with chocolate, it is loved by many people. You just have to wait for Halloween to get your hands on this yummy cereal.
While Franken Berry, Boo Berry, and Count Chocula all are quite delicious in their own ways, chocolate lovers can not help but enjoy each and every bite of Count Chocula cereal.
Count Chocula Cereals – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do they still make Count Chocula cereal?
It is more of a seasonal cereal. It was available widely until 2009, and after that, it became very difficult to find. You can find it in the stores near Halloween, though.
Is Count Chocula Cereal Gluten-Free?
No, Count Chocula Cereal is not gluten-free. It is made up of whole wheat and can not be eaten by people with low or no tolerance to gluten.
When did Count Chocula Cereal Come Out?
Count Chocula Cereal was inspired by Count Dracula and was introduced in March 1971. It made its debut along with Franken Berry
A Complete Guide to Pebbles Cereal
Fruity Pebbles Candy Bar – The Ultimate Cereal Candy Bar
Everything You Need to Know about National Cereal Day
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!