As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
What are Bottle Caps Candies?
Bottle Caps candies are tablet-shaped candies stacked together in a cylindrical package. Every packet has approximately 24 pieces in it. There are multiple flavors like root beer, cherry, grape, cola, and orange in a single packet.
The tablets look like small bottle caps.
The original candies were shaped like a real metal soda bottle cap and were large. However, changes in the size were made in 2009 without hampering the external packaging.
History of Bottle Caps Candy
Bottle Caps Candy first came into its inception in the 1970s. It hit the shelf for the first time in 1972. Initially, it was sold in small green pouches. Later, the packaging was changed to purple rolls, containing 24 pieces in each roll. The shape was made to resemble the metal cap of a soda bottle.
Initially, there was a lemon-lime flavor in place of the cherry flavor. The other four flavors are cola, orange, grape, and root beer.
The shape of the original candy was altered in 2009. The size of the tablet was reduced, and one side was flattened. It was said that the original tablet size was equal to a size of a quarter. It does not resemble the shape of a bottle cap anymore. However, the packaging remains the same as the original one.
Bottle Caps is owned by Nestle, under the brand name of Willy Wonka Candy Company.
What is the Flavor and Taste of Bottle Caps Candy like?
The texture of the candy is chalk-like. It tastes like a flavored soda drink. Only instead of drinking, you are sucking and chewing it. The taste has a perfect balance of sweetness and sourness. When you bite the candy, it releases a cooling effect on your tongue. The sourness mimics the acidic nature of a soda drink.
There are five different flavors which we talk about in the next section. One can find all the flavors in a single package. The number of tablets of each flavor may vary in every packet as it is randomly stacked.
Different Flavors of the Bottle Caps Candy
Bottle Caps Candy roll packet consists of tablets of different flavors stacked together. When the candy was released for the first time in 1972, it contained a lemon-lime flavor. It was soon replaced by cherry flavor. Now, a single roll packet of Bottle Caps contains five flavors:
- Orange: The tanginess of a real orange is captured perfectly in the flavor. It tastes like any orange-flavored soda drink. You can feel the fizz when it slowly dissolves in your mouth, leaving a refreshing, relaxed feeling in the end. Make sure to check the color of your tongue afterward.
- Grape: The grape flavor has hints of both sweetness and sourness in it. You will experience the goodness of grape soda in the form of a tablet.
- Cherry: It was a later addition that replaced the sour lemon-lime flavor. It acts as a bridge between all the other flavors and balances the set in the package. The chalk-like texture makes it interesting to hold onto the flavor for a little longer in your mouth.
- Cola: The flavor makes you nostalgic about the evergreen cola soda flavor. It is hard to get this flavor wrong, and it is safe to say that it is one of the most popular flavors amongst the people. Experience the goodness of cola in a solid form.
- Root Beer: The root beer flavor is different from other root beer flavored hard candy. When you suck on the Bottle Caps root beer tablet, you feel a fizziness on your tongue, which extinguishes with a cooling climax.
Ingredients in Bottle Caps Candy
The stack of 24 tablets contains Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Malic Acid, less than 2% of Calcium Stearate, vegetable juice color, caramel color, natural flavors, Annato extract color, and Artificial Colors (Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, and Yellow 6 Lake).
Nutrition facts of Bottle Caps Candy
Below is a table highlighting the nutritional facts found in Bottle Caps candy. The weightage and percentage mentioned are considering a serving size of eight tablets.
|% daily value|
|Total fat (0 g)||0%|
|Saturated fat (0 g)||0%|
|Trans fat (0 g)||0%|
|Cholesterol (0 mg)||0%|
|Sodium (0 mg)||0%|
|Potassium (0 mg)||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate (14 g)||5%|
|Dietary fiber (0 g)||0%|
|Sugar (13 g)||0%|
Video – Bottle Caps Candy Unwrapping
If you want to see the candy up close, this is a great unwrapping video. It’s short too, but worth a quick watch.
Video – Bottle Caps Taste Test
In this video, Derek tries Bottle Caps Candy for the first time. Very funny to see the look on his face as he tries all of the flavors.
If you like candy that is more tart and sour than Bottle Caps, be sure to see our Lemonheads review!
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!