Last Updated on May 8, 2022 by Jim Edwards
What are Hershey’s Kisses?
Hershey’s Kisses are pieces of delicious sweet milk chocolates. They resemble a teardrop shape and have a flat bottom so they sit vertically on a table, which makes them nice for holiday decorations too. They come individually wrapped in aluminum foil so it is easy to have a bag of them sitting around for when you need a single bit of chocolate! Most Hershey’s Kisses come in milk chocolate, but as we will discuss below, there are now many varieties that include other chocolate flavors and blends.
History of Hershey’s Kisses
The first Hershey’s kisses were manufactured in 1907, courtesy of the Hershey Company. By then, every candy was wrapped manually. Fortunately, a wrapping machine was introduced in 1921 and this automation step allowed for mass production to increase.
Hershey’s Kisses have been a favorite of kids and adults alike. They are one of the few small candies that are individually wrapped so easy to have a bite with some built in portion control.
In 1989, they were among the most popular chocolate brands in the U.S., ranking at position five overall. Between 2005 and 2009, the company produced relatively small Kisses with candy coatings. The reason behind their discontinuation remains a mystery.
Hershey’s Kisses Flavors
- Hershey’s Hugs: Combines white crème and milk chocolate
- Cherry Cordial Hershey’s Kisses: Contains cherry fillings
- Hershey’s Kisses with Caramel: Caramel flavor perfect for a brownie or cookie
- Hershey’s Kisses with Almonds: crunchy at the center
- Mint Truffle Hershey’s Kisses: combines dark chocolate and mint flavors
- Hot Cocoa Hershey’s Kisses: Contains marshmallow filling
- Santa Hat Hershey’s Kisses: Excellent edible stocking stuffers with milk and chocolate flavors
- Candy Cane Hershey’s Kisses: they have white and red stripes
- Special Dark Hershey’s Kisses: Perfect for making mocha by dropping them in coffee. Independently, they can make a cup of hot cocoa.
- Milk Chocolate Hershey’s Kisses: A blend of milk and chocolate flavors
Hershey’s Kisses – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Are The Nutrition And Ingredients Of Hershey’s Kisses?
A Hershey’s Kisses should contain nine pieces. That’s about 37 grams containing 200 calories, 11 g of fat, 8.6 mg of cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 2.9 g proteins, 1.3 g dietary fiber, 19 g sugar, and 139 g potassium. Others include iron, calcium, vitamin A and vitamin C. The ingredients include natural flavor, lecithin, milk fat, cocoa butter, chocolate, milk, and cane sugar.
What Are The Calories In A Piece Of The Candy, The Whole Item, The Bag, Etc.?
A piece has 23 calories. Therefore, five pieces have 115 calories, seven pieces have 160 calories, and ten pieces have 230 calories. A gram contains 5 calories, whereas an oz has 142 calories. Therefore, a bag of 8.5 oz has 1199 calories.
Are Hershey’s Kisses Gluten-Free?
Yes, the candies are gluten-free and kosher certification.
How Many Hershey’s Kisses In A Bag?
The answer to that depends on the capacity of the bag. If it is 40 ounces, expect up to 252 pieces of Hershey’s kisses. A 12-ounce bag has 72 pieces. If you want to buy in bulk, 25 pounds contain about 2,000 pieces.
Why Hershey’s Kisses Are Called Kisses?
The name is due to the motion and sounds the machine depositing the chocolates makes. So that’s how the name came about.
How Many Hershey’s Kisses In A Pound?
For every pound of Hershey’s kisses, expect around 100 pieces.
Video: How Hershey’s Kisses are Made
Wow, we did not know that Hershey’s mades 20,000 kisses a minute! Just one of the cool things we learned from watching this video.
Hershey’s Kisses Taste Test
Ah, these are such fun videos. In this one, they give some Hershey’s kisses to Irish people who have never tried the candy before. Really really fun to watch! The facial reactions are priceless!
Related Candy Posts:
- Toblerone – my favorite odd shaped chocolate bar!
- What Candy Can You Eat with Braces?
- York Peppermint Patties – Delicious Mint and Chocolate
- Kosher Candy – Our Guide To Everything You Need to Know!
- The Top Candy Brands in the World
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!