- 1 What are Sour Patch Kids?
- 2 History of Sour Patch Kids Candy
- 3 What is the Taste and Flavor of Sour Patch Kids Candy like?
- 4 What are the ingredients in Sour Patch Kids candy?
- 5 Some Unique Facts (factoids) about Sour Patch Kids
- 6 Nutritional Facts of Sour Patch Kids
- 7 Sour Patch Kids – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 7.1 How many calories are there in Sour Patch Kids candy?
- 7.2 Are Sour Patch Kids candy gluten-free?
- 7.3 Are Sour Patch Kids candy vegan?
- 7.4 What Makes Sour Patch Kids Sour?
- 7.5 Who Owns and Makes Sour Patch Kids?
- 7.6 When Were Sour Patch Kids Invented?
- 7.7 How Many Sour Patch Kids Are in a Bag?
- 7.8 Are Sour Patch Kids Fat-Free?
- 7.9 What is the Sour Patch Kids Challenge?
- 8 Video: Funniest Sour Patch Kids commercials Ever
What are Sour Patch Kids?
Sour Patch Kids are soft and chewy, sweet and sour candies. They have a coating of invert sugar on them to give a sweet kick to the otherwise sour candies. The original Sour Patch Kids packet contains a variety of different fruity flavors: lime, lemon, orange, blue raspberry, and red raspberry.
History of Sour Patch Kids Candy
Originally the candies were created in the 70’s. They were designed to capitalize on the interest in space and clients, which is why they have a funny shape.
Sour Patch Kids has different names in different countries. In France, it is known as ‘Very Bad Kids,’ whereas in Canada, it is called ‘Maynards Sour Patch Kids.’ The candies taste sour initially and then quickly change to sweet. The transition has led to it earning the slogan “Sour. Sweet. Gone.”
Sour Patch Kids were first seen in the early 1970s. Jaret International created it under the leadership of Frank Galatolie. He referred to the candy pieces as ‘Mars Men.’
In 2011, a video game called ‘World Gone Sour’ was inspired by the Sour Patch Kids. Capcom published the game, and Playbrains were behind the creation. The PC version of the game was launched on December 10, 2011, and the PlayStation and Xbox versions were launched in April 2012.
Sour Patch Kids is currently owned and marketed by Mondelez International.
What is the Taste and Flavor of Sour Patch Kids Candy like?
The candies are sour in the beginning, and as you continue chewing, they turn sweet. They are bite-sized and very soft, with a jelly-like consistency. Like all soft candies that are easy to chew, they are a favorite with kids at heart of all ages!The invert sugar coating gives a powdery feel in the mouth.
The original Sour Patch Kids include the following flavors in a single package:
In addition to the original variety pack, there are single-flavor packs available. These include:
- Sour Patch Kids Apple
- Sour Patch Kids Peach
- Sour Patch Kids Pineapple
- Sour Patch Kids Watermelon
- Sour Patch Kids Blue Raspberry
- Sour Patch Kids Grape
- Sour Patch Kids Cherry
- Sour Patch Kids Lemon
- Sour Patch Kids Strawberry
- Sour Patch Kids Mango
- Sour Patch Kids Tropical – It includes flavors like tropical twist (orange), paradise punch (pink), passion fruit (purple), and pineapple (white).
- Sour Patch Kids Hearts – It includes strawberry and cherry flavors.
- Sour Patch Kids Berries
- Sour Patch Kids Bunnies
You can find all of these flavors here
What are the ingredients in Sour Patch Kids candy?
The ingredients in Sour Patch Kids candy are modified corn starch, corn syrup, sugar, invert sugar, less than 2% of citric acid, tartaric acid, natural flavors, artificial flavors, and artificial colors (Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 1, Red 40).
The artificial colors present in each color of the Sour Patch Kids are:
|Candy Color||Artificial Color|
|Green||Blue 1, Yellow 5|
Related: Sour Jacks
Some Unique Facts (factoids) about Sour Patch Kids
If you’re as big of a fan of these candies as we are you probably want to know some insider facts you can drop on your friends.
- Raspberry was not one of the original flavors – The original flavors were lemon, lime, orange and cherry. In 2014, blue raspberry was added to the line up.
- You can get other products with sour patch flavors – the company that makes Sour Patch Kids has partnered with other companies and products for sour patch flavored products. For example, ice cream, candy collaborations and 7-11 even had a sour patch Redberry Slurpee.
- Some Sour Patch Kid Flavors are unique to the UK – in the U.K. their flavor lineup includes blackcurrant. Also, they make a sour patch flavored called “Heads & Bodies” which includes gummy bodies and severed heads. Definitely created to shock the parents and give the kids a way to feel rebellious as they eat these!
- The shape is based on the founder’s son – the original design is of a boy sticking out his tongue. This was based on Frank Galatolie’s (the creator) son, Scott. For years the package featured the blond boy sticking out his tongue. Later, they added a baseball cap to the kid. In 1992, they added a girl to the packaging to appeal to girls too. And then around 2010, they changed the company mascot to the gummy person itself.
Nutritional Facts of Sour Patch Kids
The nutritional facts mentioned below are for a serving size of 16 pieces (40 grams).
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Saturated Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Trans Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate (37 g)||12%|
|Dietary Fiber (0 g)||0%|
|Sugar (26 g)|
|Sodium (25 mg)||1%|
|Cholesterol (0 mg)||0%|
|Protein (0 g)||0%|
|Potassium (2 mg)||0%|
|Vitamin A (0 mcg)||0%|
|Vitamin C (0 mcg)||0%|
Sour Patch Kids – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many calories are there in Sour Patch Kids candy?
Sixteen pieces weighing 40 grams contain 150 calories.
Are Sour Patch Kids candy gluten-free?
All varieties of Sour Patch Kids candies are gluten-free. The packaging, however, does not provide any concrete certification for the presence of gluten. If we look at the ingredients, there are no glutenous components present. If you have Celiac disease or gluten allergy, you can safely consume the candies.
Are Sour Patch Kids candy vegan?
Sour Patch Kids candies are neither vegan nor vegetarian. They contain gelatin which is extracted from animals’ collagen. Most of the gelatin sources are typically from the skin or bones of cows or pigs.
What Makes Sour Patch Kids Sour?
Food manufacturers use sour sugar (also known as “sour sanding”) as a food ingredient to impact a sour flavor. Sour sugar is made with citric and/or tartaric acid plus sugar. The citric and tartaric acids react with the saliva on your tongue to create a strong sour flavor. And the gummy candy interior is sweet. So you get the first taste of sour and then as you chew you get the sweetness.
Note: Sour sugar is used in other sour candies like SweetTarts.
Who Owns and Makes Sour Patch Kids?
The Mondalez Corporation currently manufactures and markets them. The Mondalez corporation owns sour patch kids.
When Were Sour Patch Kids Invented?
They were invented in 1985 and have been a very popular candy for many decades.
How Many Sour Patch Kids Are in a Bag?
The 1.8lb bag, which we recommend, contains approximately 320 pieces.
A typical small 2 oz bag you might buy in a store contacts approximately 24 sour patch kids.
Are Sour Patch Kids Fat-Free?
Yes, they are! So if you need a good excuse to eat some more, you can always tell your parents – “Hey, they are FAT FREE!” 🙂
What is the Sour Patch Kids Challenge?
The challenge is to eat a whole bag of sour patch kids without any water!
In this video, he takes 2 bags – 1.9 POUND EACH, and dumps them into a bowl.
So yes, 3.8lbs of Sour Patch Kids.
Video: Funniest Sour Patch Kids commercials Ever
Sour Patch Kids have some of the funniest commercials ever. These are the best ones. You will laugh. And then you will probably go out and buy and eat some.
Our favorite and the one we think is the funniest is #5 – share your thoughts below!
If you are curious about how candy gets to be so sour, check out our post, What Makes Sour Candy Sour?
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!