- 1 What are Twizzlers?
- 2 History of Twizzlers
- 3 A brief timeline of the different variations of Twizzlers introduced by Y&S Candies:
- 4 What are the Flavor and Taste of Twizzlers like?
- 5 Twizzlers Vs. Red Vines Candy
- 6 Video: Twizzlers vs. Red Vines
- 7 Twizzlers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
What are Twizzlers?
Twizzlers are licorice-like candies. They do not contain actual extracts of the licorice plant (black licorice Twizzlers being an exception). Strawberry is by far the most popular flavors of Twizzlers, and it comprises 70% of the annual Twizzlers’ production.
The candies are flexible and twisted in shape, they are thick and twisted, which gives them a firmer bite with more texture. Everyone loves a chewy licorice!
Twizzlers come in different shapes and sizes apart from the twists.
History of Twizzlers
Twizzlers came into existence for the first time in 1929. Young and Smylie produced them – they are one of the oldest candy firms in the United States. Originally they were founded in 1845 and then changed their name to Y&S Candies Inc. in 1968. And then in November 1977, The Hershey’s Company acquired Y&S Candies Inc.
The original Twizzlers were made of licorice. In the 1970s, the candy company experimented with many flavors, including chocolate, grape, cherry, watermelon, and strawberry. In 2006 the company introduced limited-edition cherry cola and rainbow flavors. The rainbow consisted of orange, strawberry, lemonade, grape, blue raspberry, and watermelon.
A brief timeline of the different variations of Twizzlers introduced by Y&S Candies:
- 2006: Sweet and Sour-Filled Twists were incorporated. It came in red (Cherry Kick flavor) and yellow (Citrus Punch flavor) colors with fruity filling inside.
- 2011: Introduction of Super Long Nibs (Nibs are bite-sized licorice pieces).
- 2013: Introduction of the Pull ‘n’ Peel category in raspberry-wild berry-lemonade flavor.
- 2014: Introduction of Pull ‘n’ Peel fruit punch in strawberry-lemonade variations.
- 2016: Introduction of Pull ‘n’ Peel in cherry and green apple flavors
Twizzlers have been manufacturing in Memphis, Tennessee and Lancaster, Pennsylvania (main location) since 1999.
Fun Fact: The Y&S candy plant in Lancaster made the world’s longest licorice twist in 1998. It measured 1200 feet and weighed 100 pounds, and registered in the Guinness Book of Records.
What are the Flavor and Taste of Twizzlers like?
Twizzlers are chewy and sweet candies. Below is a list of all the flavors that have been associated with Twizzlers:
- Cola and Cherry flavor (limited edition)
- Hershey’s Chocolate Twizzlers
- Watermelon (inside Rainbow package)
- Lemonade (inside Rainbow package)
- Blue raspberry (inside Rainbow package)
- Orange (inside Rainbow package)
- Grape (inside Rainbow package)
- Orange cream pop flavor (Twizzlers with fillings)
- Strawberry smoothie flavor (Twizzlers with fillings)
- Sweet and Sour (present in Citric Punch, Cherry Kick, and Twizzlers with fillings varieties)
- Strawberry Lemonade (Twizzlers with fillings)
- Strawberries ‘n’ Crème (Twizzlers with fillings)
- Key Lime Pie (Twizzlers with fillings)
- Caramel Apple (Twizzlers with fillings)
- Sugar-Free Strawberry Twizzlers
- Twizted Strawberry Blast (Pull ‘n’ Peel variety)
- Cherry, lemonade, and green apple (Pull ‘n’ Peel variety)
- Cherry Cola (Pull ‘n’ Peel variety)
- Orange and black cherry (Pull ‘n’ Peel variety)
- Strawberry and vanilla (Pull ‘n’ Peel variety)
- Green apple, blue raspberry, lemon, and cherry (Sour Mini Twists)
- Cherry, black raspberry, and strawberry (Twizzlers Bites)
- Wildberry, lemonade, and raspberry (Twizted Summer Fusion Twizzlers Pull ‘n’ Peels)
- Green Apple (Pull ‘n’ Peel and Mini Twists)
- Cinnamon (Pull ‘n’ Peel, and Twizzlers Filled Twist Fire Edition)
- Fruit Punch (orange, grape, and cherry. Pull ‘n’ Peels)
Twizzlers Vs. Red Vines Candy
People often confuse Twizzlers with Red Vines candy. Both the products have similar licorice-type twisted candies. However, there is a striking difference between both of them.
|Incepted in 1935||Incepted in 1929|
|Chewy and easily breakable||More gelatinous consistency|
|Subtly sweet in flavor||Sweetness is more; loaded with added sugar and preservatives|
|Popularly known for its berry flavor||Popularly known for its distinct strawberry flavor|
|Contains comparatively fewer calories||Contains twice the calories of Red Vines|
If you like licorice but also like sweet, be sure to read our Good & Plenty Candy Review – these have a sweet hard shell with a licorice interior.
Video: Twizzlers vs. Red Vines
If you’re curious about the differences between the two this video is a fun must watch. It even includes a blindfolded taste test!
Twizzlers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
What are the ingredients in Twizzlers?
The ingredients in Twizzlers (strawberry twists) are enriched wheat flour (niacin, flour, thiamin mononitrate, ferrous sulfate, folic acid, and riboflavin), corn syrup, corn starch, sugar, contains 2% or less of mono and diglycerides, salt, citric acid, potassium sorbate, artificial flavor, mineral oil, glycerin, soy lecithin, and artificial color (Red 40).
Nutritional Facts of Twizzlers
The nutritional facts mentioned below are for a serving size of 45 grams.
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat (0.5 g)||1%|
|Saturated Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Trans Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates (36 g)||12%|
|Dietary Fiber (0 g)||0%|
|Sugar (19 g)|
|Cholesterol (0 mg)||0%|
|Sodium (95 mg)||4%|
|Protein (1 g)|
|Iron (0.5 mg)||2%|
|Calcium (2.1 mg)||0%|
|Potassium (26.9 mg)||0%|
How many calories are there in Twizzlers?
Four pieces (45 grams) of Twizzlers contain 160 calories.
Are Twizzlers gluten-free?
Twizzlers’ ingredients include wheat flour. Hence, it is not gluten-free.
Is Twizzlers vegan?
The ingredients do not contain any animal source raw materials. Hence, Twizzlers are vegan candy.
Is there a sugar free version of Twizzlers?
Yes! These are almost as good as the regular, original ones. And no sugar –Sugar-Free Strawberry Twizzlers
If you like soft licorice like Twizzlers and also like a little bit of sour, be sure to see my review of Sweet Tart Ropes
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!