Last Updated on October 28, 2022 by Jim Edwards
Fruit Gushers are an incredible fruity flavored candy that has been a fan favorite for years. They have been popular among millennials for ages and are now a favorite among Gen-Z. Gushers fruit snacks are popular for their intense fruity flavors that can bring an instant smile to your face. These candies were introduced in the 1990s by the brand Betty Crocker.
Fruit Gushers are best known for their odd-shaped elongated hexagonal, bipyramidal shape. Although many people don’t remember the name of such a complex shape, they still recognize this rather unique shape.
History of Fruit Gushers
Fruit Gushers or simply called Gushers were released as a colorful fruit-based candy in 1991 by General Mills under the name of its popular brand Betty Crocker. The candy looked like a jewel and was marketed to children using TV advertisements targeted toward teenagers and tweens.
Every box of Fruit Gushers contained six pouches with nine individual Fruit Gusher pieces per each pouch. Initially, only two flavors of the candy were released, known as Gushin’ Grape and Strawberry Splash. Fruit Gushers was one of the first brands to pay careful attention to how it marketed the product, which made customers perceive it as being fun, colorful, and tasty.
What Do Fruit Gushers Taste Like?
Every piece of Fruit Gusher is a soft and chewy small candy with a juicy center inside. When the brand initially conducted taste tests with different public demographics, the adults found the gushing candy to be mediocre.
However, when children were introduced to Gushers fruit snacks, they absolutely loved it! The most unique part about this candy is how it oozes and gushes out sweet fruit-flavored juices when you bite into the firm gummy outer layer. This is the reason why the candy was instantly named Gushers.
Ever since the release of Fruit Gushers, they are now available in a variety of packaging options which increases the convenience for customers to purchase them however they wish. When fruit gushers were released initially, they contained a lot of artificial ingredients, which caused many people to think Fruit Gushers were extremely unhealthy.
However, in 2015, General Mills shared with the fans of Fruit Gushers that it would be removing all artificial food coloring from its fruit-flavored products. The change was supposed to have been completely undertaken by the company by 2017.
Fruit Gushers Nutritional Information
The nutritional information for one pouch of Fruit Gushers (23 g) is given below:
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fats||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||18 g|
|Total Sugars||10 g|
|Added Sugars||9 g|
|Vitamin C||9 mg|
The ingredients used in Fruit Gushers are: Sugar, Carrageenan, Pear Puree Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Malic Acid, Modified Corn Starch, Maltodextrin, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of Cottonseed Oil, Grape Juice Concentrate, Fructose, Monoglycerides, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Corn Syrup Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Agar-Agar, Potassium Citrate, Citric Acid, Dried Corn Syrup, Color (Red 40, Blue 1, Yellow 5 & 6).
Fruit Gushers Flavors
There are different Fruit Gushers flavors available:
- Watermelon Blast: The watermelon blast is a sweet and refreshing flavor that will remind you of the hot summers. It is not overpoweringly sweet or sour but has the perfect balance to make this flavor of Fruit Gushers a customer’s favorite.
- Fruitomic Punch: The Fruitomic Punch Fruit Gushers are a mix of fruit flavors with a delectably sweet taste. With wonderful fresh-smelling juices inside, the Fruitomic Punch will give you an unforgettable experience you would want to experience again and again.
- Tropical Flavors: The tropical flavors of Fruit Gushers comprise different summer fruit tastes. If you are looking for a break from the hot weather, try enjoying a cool and juicy Fruit Gushers for a yummy treat in the summer.
- Strawberry Splash: Are you a fan of tart and berry-licious flavors of candy? Strawberry Splash is one of the classic flavors of Fruit Gushers that every young adult can relate to their childhood.
- Extreme Kiwi Explosion: Fruit Gushers aren’t just available in traditional and popular fruit flavors. If you love exotic fruits and want something excitingly new to try, you should buy the Extreme Kiwi Explosion!
- Double Dare Berry: Another popular flavor among tweens and teens who love the tanginess of berries, the double dare berry fruit gushers are for the people who are incredibly daring. The sourness of the berries mixed with a slight sweetness makes for the perfect snack to enjoy with friends or as a midnight snack.
- Hawaiian Punch Flavors: Do you miss the exotic beaches of Hawaii and the variety of delicious fruity drinks you can enjoy there? Fruit Gushers Hawaiian Punch Flavors will remind you of enjoying a cool sweet drink in the hot summer as the sweet and tart juices will rush as soon as you bite into the candy.
- Gushing Grape: Who doesn’t love Grape flavored candies? The Gushing Grape flavor of Fruit Gushers is for the true fans of lip-smacking tart and sweet grapes.
- Super Sour Fruit Gushers: Do you find the regular Fruit Gushers to be too sweet for your taste? Try enjoying the Super Sour Fruit Gushers for an electrifyingly sour taste that will blow your mind and make you want more.
Fruit Gushers – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How are Gushers fruit snacks made?
Gushers fruit snacks are made using agar agar jelly, xantham gum, and other gelatinous ingredients that make for a chewy and soft outer shell. The Gushers fruit snacks are filled with a gushing and flavorful liquid inside, which makes the candy much more enjoyable and unique.
When did Fruit Gushers come out?
The Fruit Gushers were launched by General Mills in 1991. Ever since its release, the company has regularly launched new flavors in exciting, colorful packaging to delight customers and keep them interested and engaged.
How many calories are in Fruit Gushers?
There are about 80 calories present in every 23 g serving of Fruit Gushers.
Who makes Gushers fruit snacks?
The Gushers fruit snacks are made by General Mills. You will notice a Betty Crocker sign on each package since the Fruit Gushers come under the label of the popular brand Betty Crocker.
Are Gushers a fruit snack or candy?
Gushers are a fruit snack with a gummy-gel outer shell and an explosive and flavorful burst of juicy flavor inside.
The Iconic Fruit Gushers Candy Funny Commercials from Childhood
Here are iconic Gushers candy commercials from your childhood that you can’t believe you forgot about. Fruit Gushers, commonly known as Gushers, are American fruit candy snacks in the shape of elongated hexagonal bi pyramids, made primarily from sugar and fruit juice, with small amounts of other ingredients.
Fruit Gushers are a juicy, center-filled candy that is most popular among 90s kids. The outer structure of the candy is gummy-gel-based, while the inside contains fruity and sweet gushing liquid that gives the candy its unique name.
Fruit Gushers were launched in 1991 by General Mills under the Betty Crocker brand and have been released in many different fruity and exotic flavors since then. If you are craving an unforgettable sweet surprise, you can buy and try out any flavors of Fruit Gushers from your nearest supermarket or grocery store.
Thomson200, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons
“Fruit Gushers Variety Pack (new)” by Pest15 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/?ref=openverse.
“Betty Crocker Fruit Gushers Variety Pack” by Pest15 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/?ref=openverse.
Thomson200, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!