As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
- 1 What are Peanut M&Ms?
- 2 History of M&Ms
- 3 What is the Taste and Flavor of Peanut M&Ms like?
- 4 What are the ingredients in Peanut M&Ms?
- 5 Nutritional Facts of Peanut M&Ms
- 6 Video: How M&M’s Are Made
- 7 Peanut M&Ms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are Peanut M&Ms?
Peanut M&Ms are colorful chocolate-covered peanuts that are crunchy and bite-sized. They come in six flavors – Mexicana Jalapeno, English Toffee, Thai Coconut, Coffee Nut, Chili Nut, and Honey Nut.
Mars Wrigley Confectionery produces peanut M&Ms.
History of M&Ms
The original M&Ms were invented in 1941 by Forrest Mars in the United States. He got his inspiration in 1930 from the Spanish Civil War. During the war, the soldiers were supplied candy-coated chocolate pellets (British-made Smarties) that did not melt easily.
On 3 March 1941, Forrest Mars received a patent for his candy invention. Initially, the name of his candy company was M&M Limited. The two M stand for Forrest E. Mars Sr. and Bruce Murrie (son of William F.R. Murrie, president of Hershey’s Chocolate).
M&Ms were a rage amongst the US soldiers during World War II. It was a significant part of their ration because the candies didn’t melt in tropical climatic conditions.
Interesting Facts about M&M’s:
- The white ‘m’ inscribed on the candy was originally black (1950). The company made the change in 1954.
- Peanut M&Ms first came into existence in 1954. Initially, they had a single color. The colors green, yellow, and red were added to the candies in 1960.
- M&Ms went international in 1980. The company introduced them in Hong Kong, Europe, Canada, Malaysia, United Kingdom, and Australia.
- Today, M&Ms are sold in more than 100 countries worldwide. The candy has a famous slogan attached to its name – “Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.” the slogan has been around since 1949.
Another movie concession favorite are Sno Caps Candy
What is the Taste and Flavor of Peanut M&Ms like?
The Original Peanut M&Ms are crunchy and colorful. They are chocolate-covered peanuts, and the flavor is a perfect amalgamation of chocolate and nutty tastes.
There are Six Peanut M&M flavors out there:
- Mexicana Jalapeno: It seems like a plain peanut M&M in the beginning. The spicy jalapeno flavor kicks in in a few seconds. However, the spice level is not too high, so you can safely consume the candies.
- Thai Coconut: The taste resembles a pina colada. You find a hint of coconut and peanut amidst the chocolaty swirl when you consume the candy.
- English Toffee: These are extremely sweet and nutty. The flavor mix of chocolate, English toffee, and peanut is a delightful combination.
- Chili Nut: The candy variation is a mix of spicy and chocolaty flavors, along with the goodness of peanuts. The spice does not kick in immediately. It is very subtle, and one can consume a good amount without sweating profusely.
- Honey Nut: The candy variation has a perfect balance of the sweetness of honey and the roasted peanut smokiness. You can sense the difference in the peanut’s taste from the original Peanut M&Ms.
- Coffee Nut: It is a perfect balance of coffee, peanut, and chocolate. Overall, the candy tastes like mocha. It is neither too sweet nor too bitter.
See also: Big Hunk Candy Bar
What are the ingredients in Peanut M&Ms?
The ingredients in Peanut M&Ms are peanuts, sugar, corn starch, milk chocolate (sugar, chocolate, skim milk, cocoa butter, lactose, milk fat, peanuts, soy lecithin, salt, natural flavors, artificial flavors), less than 1% of – corn syrup, palm oil, modified coconut oil, dextrin, carnauba wax, gum acacia, artificial colors (Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Red 40, Red 40 Lake).
Nutritional Facts of Peanut M&Ms
The nutritional facts mentioned below are for a serving size of 46 grams.
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat (12 g)||18%|
|Saturated Fat (5 g)||25%|
|Trans Fat (0 g)||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates (28 g)||9%|
|Dietary Fiber (2 g)||8%|
|Total Sugar (23 g)|
|Sodium (20 mg)||1%|
|Cholesterol (5 mg)||2%|
|Protein (4 g)|
|Calcium (40 mg)||4%|
|Vitamin A (0 mcg)||0%|
|Vitamin C (0 mcg)||0%|
If you like a small mint after dinner be sure to see our review of Andes Mints
Video: How M&M’s Are Made
This is a great video showing how M&M’s, including the peanut ones – are made!
Would love to tour this factory some day. One can only dream…
Related: Oh Henry Candy Bar
Peanut M&Ms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many calories are there in Peanut M&Ms?
Forty-six grams of Peanut M&Ms contain 240 calories. The calories from Fat are 110.
Twenty-three pieces contain 100 calories.
Are Peanut M&Ms gluten-free?
Peanut M&Ms are 100% gluten-free. There are no glutenous ingredients present. People who have Celiac disease have been safely consuming the candy for years. The candies, however, do contain peanuts. People suffering from nut allergies should strictly avoid the consumption of Peanut M&Ms.
Are Peanut M&Ms vegan?
Peanut M&Ms are not vegan. They contain various dairy products as key ingredients.
Related: Zero Candy Bar
I’m Jim Edwards and I started this website to share my love of Junk Food. We cover new junk food, desserts, snack foods, fast food secret menus, candy (of course!) and other related news. We love trying “secret menus” at restaurants. And we love trying new products too. So, we are trying to have some fun with our hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send us your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have products you would like us to try, let us know…!